Meals at my parent’s house means Italian food galore, but on Mother’s Day I get to play chef and let Mama do some much needed relaxing. That being said, I’ve decided to take a twist on some Italian inspired dishes for today’s menu. We’re kicking off with grilled peaches with prosiutto and bleu cheese.
- 4 peaches (sliced into 8 bits, or 2 cans of sliced peaches in their own juice)
- 2 tbsp. raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lb. imported prosiutto, thinly sliced
- 1/3 lb. Stella bleu cheese (I prefer to use a block of cheese instead of crumbles, but crumbled cheese will work too)
- Fire up the barbecue! (Yes, Spring has sprung–get those grills ready!)
- Wash and slice your peaches (or open up those cans and drain the juices). Toss them with the raspberry balsamic vinegar. *If you aren’t into raspberry, I’d suggest another fruit flavored vinegar to compliment the sweetness of the peaches.
- Over a medium heat, grill the peaches for 10-15 seconds on each side. You don’t want to char them and the sugar from the vinegar and fruit will cause them to cook quickly.
- Wrap individual peaches with a piece of cheese in the prosiutto. You can place a toothpick into them, or simply serve them as finger foods. Serve immediately for the best results.
**If you aren’t really a bleu cheese person, you can substitute with gorgonzola or even go cheese-less. And for those who aren’t into the prosiutto, opt for Serano ham as an alternative.
Or if this recipe isn’t really up your alley, just toss the grilled peaches in a spinach salad for a fresh summery taste.